Friday 15 July 2011

Saw vs. Axe



I'm not exactly an environut - leave-no-trace at all costs type of guy in the backcountry.
I am sort of middle of the road - huge respect the environment, but I won't go to all ends to leave no trace.  I like to  have campfires when I am in the woods.  In fact I would count my skills as a wood gatherer in the backcountry rather highly.  When I first started backcountry camping, I started fires, but didn't even use any tools to gather firewood.  Anyone that has successfully started fires in the backcountry by gathering wood knows that the only wood that burns is dry wood, dead branches that are still on trees, or dead trees themselves, still standing.  Anything lying on the ground is almost guaranteed to have way too much water to burn efficiently.  So I used to break lower branches off of pine trees to burn then snap them by stomping on them.   This, to say the least isn't the easiest way to go about it, not to mention it kills your hands with the vibration of snapping branches, and getting hit with the ugly stick in your face when you stomp the branches isn't fun either...  A tool makes gathering wood much more efficient.
So, what's better, a saw or an axe?  I'm sure many people have their preferences, but to me this almost isn't even a question.  Just like a game of paper scissors rock, saw beats axe any day.  A hand saw can slice even quite thick branches off trees, fell small to medium sized dead trees, and cut longer pieces into a manageable size for the fire.  Quickly.  Efficiently.  The only thing a saw doesn't quite excel at is cutting finger sized branches off of a larger limb or tree.
An axe on the other hand, at least in my opinion is next to useless.  It takes much more effort and time to cut even a medium diameter piece of wood than a saw, and good luck lopping off any decent sized branch or trunk.  Any axe big enough to be useful is much, much heavier than folding saws to boot.  Hatchets are just useless.  The only thing an axe is better at than a saw is to fray or sometime split wood for kindling and chopping off those small branches.  Might as well leave the thing at the car camping as far as I am concerned if all you want a tool for is to collect wood.  I'd challenge anyone with an axe vs. my saw to collect firewood for a night's campfire and beat them to a larger pile of wood much quicker any day.
I have a Trail Blazer brand Sawvivor takedown saw (same as pictured above).  I love this thing.  It's ultra lightweight aluminum tube, light enough for me to take backpacking.  The saw stores in the longer tube when folded, and takes only seconds to set up.  It makes short work of anything less than 6 inches in diameter.  Highly recommended.

3 comments:

  1. I got myself a very good custom built axe. Vintage 2.1lb hults bruks head put on a 22 inch handle.
    I also had the guy put a cheaper vintage plumb 1.25lb head on a 15 inch handle. Now i got those on trade. So ingot a good deal. I wanted to get a good axe and get good at using it.
    I came across this post because im still trying to find a use for my 22 inch axe.
    I agree with everything you said.
    I have a folding bow saw also. And honestly it handles almost all firewood gathering and prep. I use the hatchet for de-limbing and making kindling sometimes. Honestly i use the hatchet more for things like crafting tasks..than i do in regards to firewood.
    Its seeming like an axe is more for a homestead situation. Where your taking down green trees that later need to be split. But trying to cut dead standing wood with an axe.. i just jave not seen an advantage over a saw

    ReplyDelete