Tuesday 3 April 2012

Travel Packs, Travel Packs Everywhere – Osprey Waypoint 65

Looking for a travel pack, there’s tons of choices out there – brands, sizes styles, etc.  I don’t buy things in stores a lot of the time.  Simply for starters,  there are no outdoor type stores anywhere close to me, only 1/2 hr drive each way + away.  I can’t stand spending all that time driving to a store only to find out their selection sucks, they don’t have something in inventory, or it costs way more than it should cause they’re hosing people.  So I do a lot of research online and then shopping for things.  That’s exactly what I did for my travel pack.  I ended up getting an awesome deal on an Osprey Waypoint 65….. $189US(+$33CAD customs fees at the post office = approx. $222CAD at my door), delivered to me from Moosejaw which arrived last week.  I’ll give anyone $10 if you can find one anywhere near this cheap from a store in Canada after taxes – it’s simply not possible.
Anyways, for the pack itself, I did spend much time researching online, flip flopping between different brands, models and styles.  I dig the packs that have an integrated daypack that detaches from the mothership bag by means of a zipper or clips.  Even in that category there’s quite a few choices.  I was looking at the Osprey Waypoint, and Farpoint series, Eagle Creek, Deuter and some of the MEC branded ones.  I eventually chose the Waypoint 65 due to it’s size and some reviews I read about all the packs I was looking at.  Osprey is a great backcountry backpack manufacturer, and I was figuring that they can translate their knowledge of that to a travel version.  I would rather have that than the other way around – a luggage company creating a backpack.
Volume is another question – for someone who has not spent much time travel backpacking, especially in a tropical location, I have no idea how much space I would want in my pack.  Even though it might be a bit much for my impending trip to Borneo I opted for the 65 liter, since I would be able to use it for future travels in colder climates where I would want to bring more gear.  The Waypoint comes in two different lengths small and medium/large to fit different torsos.  I got the Large which also has a slightly higher capacity than 65 liters.  The Waypoint has been a model Osprey has carried for a while.  Osprey also makes a newer design slightly lighter weight, lower cost and less frill version of travel pack c/w daypack called the Farpoint series.  I originally was looking at this one but I didn’t opt for that one in the end as I read somewhere that the material is quite thin and may not be all that suitable for checked baggage.  I also do like the few extra pockets and don’t mind the slight bit of extra weight the Waypoint has over the Farpoint.  In any case, I am looking forward to using it and seeing how much gear I will have in it for my Borneo adventure.        

No comments:

Post a Comment