Thursday 4 April 2013

Mora Bushcraft Black Knife

                I’ve been looking for a proper Bushcrafty type of knife and doing a lot of reading about them recently.  The Leatherman and Swiss Army knives I have are nice and light for backpacking, good for making lunch and maybe cutting rope, doing some light whittling for a marshmallow stick but that’s about all.  Doing any heavy duty woodwork isn’t just frustrating, it’s also a bit dangerous with those thin blades. 
                After all of the research I have done, I’ve found that a real bushcraft knife isn’t one that looks like a Rambo knife, or one that looks like a crooked machete, or any other weird looking knife.  The best all purpose one is one that has a blade around 4” long.  The blade needs to be thick to be robust, reducing the likelihood of breaking.  The back spine is flat and preferably has sharp edges in order to use it with a firesteel.  Ideally it has a full tang as well – that means the blade goes all the way through the handle.  This reduces the possibility of the blade separating from the handle.  It also provides a spot to hammer the knife if you ever need to do so.  The general consensus for a blade material is that a very high carbon steel is preferable to stainless.  The high carbon blade is better for sharpening and edge retention, although some new specialty stainless steels can do so as well.  The handle has to be very ergonomic and protect you from sliding your fingers into the blade as well.
                With all of these properties in mind, I was looking for a knife.  There seems to be many high priced bushcraft knives out there with a lot of exotic handles or blade materials, but I just want function, plain and simple.  As usual, I think form should follow the function.  I was contemplating the Swedish Fallkniven F1 knife, although it is quite expensive – around $150 for the standard blade (carbon steel laminated to outer stainless), or even more expensive G3 material at a whopping $250 for a knife.  But then I came across Mora Knives or Morakniv, also a Swedish knife maker.  The knives they make are no nonsense straight up knives.  Made for their functionality, and not to pretend they are some kind of work of art or something.  The range I was looking at are the Bushcraft range of knives that Mora makes.  In fact they come in many different colors, blade types and sheaths.  Even though they generally look the same, they aren’t created equal.  Bushcrafters online love their knives, but older comments lament the fact that the blades are thin.  The older Mora Bushcraft knives are 2.5mm thick stainless steel. 
     The new Mora Bushcraft black is a high carbon steel bade, that is a burly 3.2mm thick instead of the thinner 2.5mm.   It is made out of high carbon steel instead of stainless, and the blade is coated with a black finish, hence the Bushcraft Black.  The coating is tungsten DLC coating, a very hard material that also aids in friction, and the blade has some gold colored laser etching near the handle on the right side.  Along with the lower friction and corrosion resistance the coating offers, the black color is also to keep with the tactical look trend, for those who like to pretend they are navy seals stalking someone to knife them.  I do admit the knife does look pretty cool, but as far as functionality goes, I would prefer a shiny blade to use as a signaling device in a survival situation, although I do prefer the carbon steel over the stainless for the edge qualities.  The spine of the knife is nicely ground with sharp edges like a newly sharpened skate, and it throws off much better sparks from my firesteel than the little stamped steel scraper that comes with my Light My Fire firesteel.  It did leave a couple small burrs on the edge of the spine after I used my fire steel with it a dozen times or so.  I figure this is just normal, as any steel on steel would do that kind of thing.  I’ll see what it looks like after a year or two of use.  The blade, as I hear is typical with all Mora blades, came razor sharp.  I shaved my arm a little with the blade to test it out..yeah I think it’ll do.
  As with everything else on this knife, the handle is very simple, but functional.  It is nicely ergonomic, the girth is very comfortable for my medium to large size hand and the outer material on the handle is made of a nicely sticky rubber like material (TPU?) on the outside.  The inside of the handle is made of a harder plastic of an olive drab color which can be seen at the hilt and also where the handle transitions to the blade.  The handle has some ridge band features near the hilt on the top and also near the blade to provide extra traction and a tactile feel to let you know you are at the end of the handle.   It’s all about function and ergonomics and not about some fancy looking handles like the Bark River knives.  The handle has a downturn in the front bottom at the blade to prevent (or reduce the likelihood) your hand from slipping onto the blade, but it does not have a solid guard, in order to make full use of the knife and not get in the way.
  The sheath is very no-nonsense as well, and also black colored to keep with the theme.  It is a decent molded sheath, made of a plastic material but some won’t appreciate it simply because it’s not leather.  I prefer the synthetic sheaths myself due to zero maintenance requirements.  The retention is excellent and exposes about half of the handle, so the likelihood of the knife  being drawn unintentionally or falling out is very low.  My biggest gripe is the belt loop.  It’s great if you actually wear a proper belt, but not very useful if you don’t.  Most of my outdoor convertible pants I wear have a built in belt which wouldn’t work with this and I would prefer a clip so it could clip onto the top of my pants.  
 The Survival Bushcraft Black sheath version has a firesteel holder, complete with firesteel and sharpening stone, but mine was the straight up version.  On a whim I ordered a custom Grizzly Outdoors sheath.  This sheath has a firesteel holder as well and milled slots for attachments and/or some paracord storage..the downside is that the sheath actually costs much more than the knife itself.  I’ll do a writeip on that as well for comparison with the stock sheath when it gets in.
                In any case, the Mora Bushcraft Black looks like one helluva capable bushcraft knife, and low cost to boot.  I’m certainly looking forward to getting some use out of it this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment