Sunday 16 June 2013

Lightening Up with Zpacks Gear

     So I continue my progression towards lighter backpacking gear, and just got a shipment of just a few things from Zpacks.  Zpacks makes ultralight backpacking gear, it’s a small company run by Joe Valesko and his wife, along with a few employees, located in Florida.  Many of their products are custom made from cuben fiber material.  They sell tarps, backpacks, and many ultralight accessories, including stuffsacks made from cuben fiber.  The gear is mostly made by them, is high quality from what I have seen, and, as I like my gear, well thought out and designed.
     I recently got a stuffsack made of ultralight cuben fiber material .It’ a good size either for my summer sleeping bag, or my Hennessy hammock.  It could also be used for a small to medium sized pot set.  I will likely get another one or two of these stuffsacks if this one holds up well.  And it looks like it would.  I also got some seam tape to so I can tape the seams of this stuffsack myself and make the stuffsack more water resistant, if I want to use it for my sleeping bag.  Along with that, I got a cuben fiber peg bag.
     Zpacks also sells ultralight food  storage/hanging components, so I picked up some of those.  I got a super light Blast rolltop food bag , which is made of their more durable Blast cuben fiber and has a Velcro closure at top, and loops for a caribiner.  Speaking of which, it comes with a micro caribiner, the smallest and lightest one I have ever seen, although it does seem strong enough for the job.   I also got a cuben fiber rock bag to put rocks or pebbles into for using as a weight when hanging food.  
     To round it out, I got 50 feet of 1.75mm Spectra Dyneema  z-line, 450lb breaking strength.  Arborists specifically use this rope as throw lines to perform the same function as a bear bag line, to sling over a branch and haul things up into the tree.  The line has next to no stretch, unlike nylon rope.  It’s outer coating is slick – I believe  it has an outer coating of vinyl to lower friction and will be awesome for pulling up heavy food loads over branches…  I just gotta make sure the knots I tie in it will hold.  The line is so thin it has a high visibility blaze orange color so you can hopefully avoid clotheslining yourself or others.  Without using it yet, this rig at least looks like a huge upgrade and some significant weight savings over my current hanging gear I use – a 3/16” nylon rope, a full sized caribiner heavy enough to be a throw weight, and a paddling dry bag that is overbuilt for it’s purpose of just hold my food and being somewhat water resistant
     A last item I got was a Zpacks toothbrush.  While it actually weighed more than my 1/3 toothbrush with the cut off handle, it is a more reasonable length and more funtional than my older backpacking toothbrush.  I basically had to put my fingers in my mouth to bush my teeth with my older one...  which some people do..  some ultralightists use silicone fingertip toothbrushes intended for pets and children mainly. 
Old fashioned-ish backcountry gear on right


     I weighed my older gear and the Zpacks replacements... shows I saved 351 grams.  Not bad for a few items!

Links:
Zpacks

No comments:

Post a Comment