Sunday 10 November 2013

Ontario Knife Company 6420 Kukri

I just got an Ontario Knife Company 6420 Kukri I wanted for chopping and more specifically delimbing of smaller branches less than 1" dia.  I normally use a saw for processing wood for the most part, but it would be good to have a thin bladed chopper for cutting off small branches so I got a Kukri, it was $70 from Amazon Canada.  
This is my first impression review summary:

Pros:
- 1095 Steel
- solid construction
- good handle design

Cons:
- Blade isn't forged, just cut out of plate steel and ground down
- personally not a fan of the powder coating on the blade, would have preferred conversion coating or titanium nitride
- sheath not very good
- spine isn't ground with sharp edges, no good for using with a firesteel
 
- factory ground edge is a rough, needs sharpening/polishing when you get it

 

In summary, it's a good value for a practical chopping small machete, but certainly not a work of art and could be improved upon.  I will review again once I get around to using it a bit in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment