Saturday 18 January 2014

Underwater Hockey + Sony Action Cam HDR-AS30V


    I took my Sony Action Cam to the pool for an underwater hockey practice this week.  I shot the video in 1080P.  The performance of the camera in an indoor pool is good.  It is a little grainy and at times out of focus under water, but in general it is decent quality.  The sound is pretty fantastic, that and the POV perspective makes you feel like you are actually underwater and playing.
     I used a strap mount from the the universal head mount kit BLT-UHM1 to attach the action cam to my diving mask, making it as low profile and compact as you can get for a video setup - I am not sure how you would even do this with a GoPro with it's big square front facing form factor.  I didn't notice the camera or the drag much underwater. Some people playing didn't even realize I had a camera on my head during the game until I posted the video later.


6 comments:

  1. Hello, please, can you explain me what is the strap mount have you used for attach the action cam to your diving mask? I've the same problem and i'm oriented to buy the VCT-GM1 support. But now i've seen your photo and video and i realized that you've discovered a great system! I've to buy all BLT-UHM1 kit or i can buy only the strap mount??? Thx for your attention and excuse my english!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the strap mount works well. It's part of the BLT-UHM1 universal strap mount kit. It clamps to any belt or strap, so I just attached it to my mask... it's a great low drag mount when underwater.

      Delete
  2. hello there. Can I ask a question: Is the camera sold with a case that can go deep (like 30-40m) or do I need to buy a separate case for scuba diving? thnx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, can you tell me does the action cam disturbs the mask position? I mean does it make the mask move here and there or does it make you feel uncomfortable underwater? I'm going scuba diving this weekend and am planning to use the action cam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, can you tell me does the action cam disturbs the mask position? I mean does it make the mask move here and there or does it make you feel uncomfortable underwater? I'm going scuba diving this weekend and am planning to use the action cam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I found it comfortable and didn't have any leaks in the water. It works well!

      Delete