Saturday 10 November 2012

Quest for the perfect Sock



Socks are not a subject that most people ever talk about, mainly only when the topic of Christmas presents come up and dad has everything he needs..not many people think about them, or want to pay $20 or more for a single pair of them for that matter.  For years I used Mark’s Work Wearhouse wool socks and nothing else.  I had long given up the cotton tube socks of my youth.  But when I finally bought some good hiking socks many years ago, I was addicted.  Good socks feel so great, form fitting, moisture wicking and cushioning for long treks, not to mention warm in any condition, wet or dry.  In fact now, that’s all I wear are hiking socks everywhere, except for one pair of dress socks I own.  But, there’s so much variety, it is easy to get overwhelmed when you step into the sock section of an outdoor store.  Not only is there many brands of socks, there’s many sock formats  - from ankle socks to full expedition socks and everything in between, not to mention some sock sizes have different cushioning weights
I have tried many brands and materials of socks over the years – Smartwool, Fox River, North Face, Icebreaker, Feetures bamboo socks, Patagonia and Darn Tough socks, to name a few.
If I was to figure out how to judge some socks over another, I would judge them on fit, cushioning, feel, and  wear resistance.  Most of these traits there’s not much difference at all.  Fit and feel, they all feel great, especially when new, although there may be some slight differences between brands/materials when your feet are damp.  Cushioning – well, that’s what you chose in the first place.  It’s the last one that makes quite a difference sock to sock I find.  I’ve found some start turning fuzzy and pill rather quickly (Feetures, and some of the Smartwool ones), while others after a while get a bear patch in some places such as the heel or ball of the foot by the falling apart.  But there really has only been one brand of socks that have stood up through many wears, washes and trips.  That one is the Darn Tough socks I have.  I don’t know how these are made, but they are brilliant.  None of the ones I have worn through, pilled or have gotten bear spots in them.  I also wash and dry them like I would any other piece of clothes. Now these are my go-to brand of socks if I am looking for standard weight hiking socks.

Darn Tough

No comments:

Post a Comment