Tuesday 8 January 2013

SUPer Sucking

   
  I should have an open mind about new things.  After all, being an engineer I am scientific minded and should approach anything new with an open mind until proven otherwise.  That said, I don't know what rubs me the wrong way with SUPing (Stand Up Paddleboarding), but I despise it without even trying it.  Part of my hate is probably due to it's the part extreme sport, part hipstery acronym SUP, "Hey dude, the weather's gnar outside, lets go SUPing!".  Part of my hate probably stems from it being so trendy, the types of people who do it, the people who do stupid things with it...  yoga and backcountry camping...  really? Or maybe it's the horrible mechanics involved with it.  It's basically just a super wide, thick surfboard that you paddle around with your abdomen.  The hydrodynamics are terrible with huge drag, and on top of that it is the highest wind exposure of any paddling craft.  Not to mention the equipment is ultra expensive for what it is.  
Just get a kayak, douche
 
    So, to sum it up, everything about SUPing sucks, even from an objective point of view.  I'd like to think of it as a fad that will fade away...  who knows, only time will tell.  OK, I will give it one thing - it may be fun in some moderate surf, but paddling across an open flat lake with these, or even going backcountry camping is a ridiculous idea to me.  I'd try it out but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment