Sunday 18 September 2016

Primus Tupike Stove

I somehow 'misplaced' my Coleman white gas cap stove for car camping.  I have no idea how I did that, unless I leaned it up against a tree at a campsite and forgot to put it in my car.  Nonetheless, it is not to be found in my house.
So, it's an opportunity to upgrade my car camp stove, which I have been wanting to do anyways.  Between the pump not working nicely, the cap leaking, the sive of the thing... etc. etc., it is an opportunity for improvement.  After doing some research, the stove that came to the top of the list was the Primus Tupike Stove.  Newly released this year, it features a compact construction, looks great with stainless steel and oak wood slats to prevent scratching, has an innovative carry handle that is also the lock, windscreen, foot stands to elevate the stove, a removable pan under the burners for easy cleaning, piezo igniters for the burners.  All that and, one of the features that make me most excited - it comes with an adapter and wrench to convert to from using the standard green canister propane tanks to use butane tanks.  Finally, a stove that lets me use up the mostly-consumed tanks from backcountry use with my Jetboil!   But wait-there's more!  It also comes with an accessory griddle made of Teflon coated aluminum with a folding handle and a carry bag for the griddle.  It is quite small but would be useful for camping with yourself or one other person.
This stove does come with a hefty price tag, for a camp stove that is.  I picked mine up from MEC for 230 dollars.  There is a lower cost stove with most of the features called the Kinjia - the differences being no windscreen, piezo igniters, foot stands, and it's all black -no stainless or griddle but costs only 40 dollars less.  I'll gladly take all the extra features for a little more.  This is a compact stove, good for small groups and not a stove for large groups.
I have yet to actually use it, other than testing it in my side yard but it seems like a winner so far. There's only two things I can see improvement - one, the legs are non adjustable to be able to level it on picnic tables.. I'm sure everyone using a camp stove has had the experience of shoving rocks or firewood under the stove to be able to level it and prevent food from sliding to one side of the pan...  and also the wrench and adapter for the butane have no clip or way of storing them on the stove itself.  There is a bag available for this stove from Primus, but it's listed as 147 Euros on their euro site and not on the North American site so it may not be available in North America.
In any case, I'm looking forward to some car/base camping to be able to test it out for reals!

Primus Tupike Stove
Primus Kinjia Stove

No comments:

Post a Comment