Monday 30 May 2011

North Face Base Camp Duffel Bag




Every week is like Christmas for me, I usually have more than one package on it's way to me with a variety of items I bought online.
I tend to buy a lot of things online from Ebay or other online shops due to lack of availability, less hassle or much cheaper prices online than in local stores. Many times I have never laid hands, or even eyes upon what I bought in the virtual world before it arrives at my door. And sometimes it surprises me how cool something is when I get it.
I just picked up a box from the post office with a North Face duffel bag, in a size medium. I got in online from the states for 125 US, shipping included (approx 121 CAD). Cheapest I could find it anywhere in Canada was 140 plus shipping. Basically I saved about thirty bucks all in after taxes, duty, whatever. That much for a duffel bag ain't cheap, but this thing looks like it's worth it. I've been making do for the last 17 years or so with a crap-assed hockey duffel bag that is partially falling apart to lug my gear in my car for car camping or whatever for weekend + long trips. I thought it was time to get a real duffel bag.
This duffel bag is made from some Phthalate-free TPE fabric laminate material, similar to vinyl. Looks very water resistant. The cover overlaps the zipper so I would think anything short of actually dunking the bag in water, the contents will stay dry.
On the outside, it has compression straps on either side, a window for a luggage itentifier tag, two typical duffel bag carry straps running lengthwise, another handle on one of the end, more straps to use as a backpack if/when necessary, and webbing loops on either side as well, to carabine miscellaneous gear to it. The bottom has a layer of nylon fabric for wear resistance. On the inside, the cover has a mesh pocket on the back with a zipper for throwing in small items so they don't get lost in the bottom of the bag. in general, I don't know what else you'd want in a duffel bag... well, maybe a shoulder strap, and it does have loops for that or bungeeing the thing down to something if desired.
Depends on time of year or what you're doing in general but at 72 liters the medium size is a good size for a weekend type of thing. It looks like it's around carry-on size for air travel. And it comes in whack of different colors, although I opted for black.  I think I'll keep my eye out for a cheap large size one.. between the two I should be able to get my gear for most occasions in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment