Sunday 15 May 2011

Seals Adventurer Spray Skirt Post-Review

I have had this skirt for the last three years.
After many paddling trips and 2000+ kilometers of use it has finally given up the ghost with the seam seals falling off and the waterproof backing ineffective.  The outside still looks good, and and fit is still great and that's fine for warm weather paddling, but cooler weather and/or rough waves I'd prefer to have a skirt that is effective at keeping water out, for warmth and/or water collection.  I'll keep it around and use it on warm days that I want to cool off, but keep the majority of water out of the cockpit.
The suspenders are great to keep the tunnel angled so it doesn't collect water. I have had no problem with the stay bar keeping the skirt domed, I set the width once and never had to adjust afterwards.
The only downside I can comment on, is this skirt doesn't exactly keep all the water out after a little bit of use in big waves or rains, since the waterproof backing starts wearing out. But, this skirt is what it is - a medium duty touring skirt, and it's great for that.
I just bought a  Seals Extreme Tour Sprayskirt as a replacement...  I'll be posting my initial impressions and review of that as I get some use out of it.  Also a new Petzl Tikka XP2 headlamp is on the way to my door, and looking forward to checking that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment