Thursday 22 August 2013

Quirky Backcountry Rituals and Habits



     I think many trippers tend to have some strange rituals that they develop over time when they are out there.  I certainly do.  For no real reason, you just start doing some things on a regular basis, and then you end up doing these things on many or every trip.  Sometimes it’s a thing you do, sometimes it’s something you bring with you, but I am sure we all do these things, whether it is an homage to past trips, past memories, lost loved ones or other reasons..Here’s a couple of my quirky rituals:

Whiskey on the Rocks
     Whenever I summit a peak or reach a significant point in a journey, I like to take a photo of myself having whiskey on the rocks to celebrate.  Is that punny enough for you?   Yes, I think so.  Not much more to be said about this one.






Forty Creek Whiskey
     Yes, I do like to imbibe on my journeys.  Hard liquor travels well, since it has the highest alcohol to weight ratio available.  I live in Ontario so 40% is about as strong as it gets…   sometimes overproof rum, certainly not Everclear  I had been bringing different single malt scotches with me for a time.  But, my buddy Steve started bringing Forty Creek whiskey when that came out along.  Like I mean a 60 ouncer…  obviously not backpacking, but paddling.  Forty Creek is a damn good Canadian whiskey.   If you don’t know what Canadian Whiskey is, it is like Scotch without the peat.  Less complex, more malty.  Previously only things like Canadian Club, Crown Royal and Wisers were available.  Northerners usually call this Rye as well, even though Rye isn’t usually isn’t used in many Canadian Whiskeys any more as it is expensive.  Normally it is mostly mixed with other things to make cocktails such as rye and c  It is usually a little harsher than scotch.
oke, rye and ginger ale, etc.
ear.
     But I digress..  Forty Creek is a much better sipping whiskey than the other Canadian Whiskeys.  Smoother,maltier, and a little sweeter.  Much cheaper than scotch as well.  There are some barrel select versions which are more costlier and smoother, but the straight up stuff is good enough to swig in smoky environments while covered in mosquitos, no need for fancy shmancy $100 bottles of scotch.  So I started to bring that brand of whiskey. I also like it because if I am tripping in Canada, I feel I should be drinking a Canadian whiskey as well as my patriotic duty.   As a bonus, the small mickey size (oz) of it comes in a lightweight plastic bottle.  I even save the mickeys and keep them at home to refill from lower cost larger bottles to bring on backcountry trips.
     When I went to visit Steve in Borneo, I brought a mickey of Forty Creek halfway around the world, we sipped it on the summit of Mount Kinabalu as we enjoyed the sunrise.  Brilliant.

Cheesy Outdoor Product Shot

     I always take a camera, most times two into the backcountry and like to take photos for many reasons, among them to capture the beauty of the outdoors, to take some artsy shots that look cool visually, to record what the location or area looks like, and last but not least, to have a visual diary of   Towards the artsy side, taking a photo with shallow depth of field makes it instantly look artsy.   It is also very difficult for me not to take photos in the golden hours, early in the morning and late evening before sunset, when on a clear sky day the light is beautifully golden and at a low angle on the horizon, creating dramatic scenes with the beautifully lit landscape and contrasting long shadows.  So one trip I started taking artsy photos with shallow depth of field of whatever alcohol product I had – Canadian whiskey, Wellington Trailhead, etc.  The outdoorsy essence of the product, combined with the shallow depth of field in an outdoor background just looks exactly like someone had taken a marketing product shot to show the appeal of an alcoholic beverage that belongs in the outdoors.  And ever since, I have tended to take photos like that every trip I take.
the trip that I went on.
      
Sour Keys

     This is more of a habit than a quirky thing, other than I tend to take sour keys with me every backcountry trip.  I just like the intense flavor coated with puckering citric acid and sugar and chewy   It just resets my palette after sometimes eating the same types of backcountry food all the time which is usually quite the opposite of what the nature of these are.  Only problem is trying to stop eating them once I have a couple of them after I am ravinous from hiking all day.



Cream Liquor and Coffee – Brilliant!

     Again, more of a habit than anything, I had started to make my own coffee in the backcountry a while ago, ‘cause up until recently dehydrated coffee just blew real bad, no matter what brand.  I started to make cowboy coffee but then found the GSI coffee press which is brilliant for paddling trips when a tad extra weight isn’t a big deal.  At work, I drink my coffee black no sugar, but in the   So I learned a real good trick.  Instead of carrying perishable milk/cream, or using sugar and chemically tasting gross powdered creamer, I started using cream liquor.  I can’t remember who gave me that tip but it is simply brilliant.  You get a creamer, sugar, an even more bonus alcohol kick and on top of that it is non-perishable.  The only slight downside is it is heavy if you are backpacking, but other than that, it rocks.  What’s there not to love about Irish coffee while you relax in the backcountry drinking your coffee before packing up and hitting the trail or water?  So I have been lugging some of that on most trips I go on for many years now.  I pack it in one of those square 500ml Nalgene bottles and use it generously.  It is even awesome for flavoring and sweetening oatmeal, the breakfast of choice when I am on the go.
backcountry in the morning it is good to get asome extra calories with my caffeine kick, and some flavor boost to boot.
     There’s many brands and types you can use, Baileys the old standard, which now comes in many varieties, the Odarby, O whatever rip-offs, Pamnama Jack, some coffee cream liquors, and my new fave, Forty Creek cream liquor.

 Funny, I didn't mean it by writing this, but now after writing this and looking at it, it appears I am a lush....  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment