Thursday 17 October 2013

Sony Action Cam HDR-AS30V


    So I picked up a Sony action cam.  I had been wanting one for a while, not that I am into all types of extreme sports, but it would be good to use on occasion, it's also good for timelapses.  The choice of action cam is a difficult one.  There's the industry standard GoPro, Sony Action Cam, and a bunch of others made by Midland Radio, Garmin, and a bunch of others.  You would think someone would jusy go to the industry standard, but after looking into it, the Sony appealed to me much more than the GoPro.  Up until it went out o business, I actually liked Contour's form factor, but it kicked the bucket recently.  GoPro introduced it's 3rd gen earlier this year and has just released the 3+.  After doing a bit of research, it looks like Gopro only released the 3+ as a fix for what the 3 black should have been in the first place.  There's many reports of buggy software, the camera shutting off randomly, freezing up, corrupting SD cards and horrible battery life to boot.  I don't want to spend money on a product a company that is run like that.  People seem to think GoPro's seat on the throne is untouchable, but I tend to disagree.  GoPro doesn't have the expertise in manufacturing cameras and the tech thtat goes with it, although they are learning quick.
     There's a wole handful of features that I think the Sony HDR-AS30V has that the GoPro doesn't.  Namely GPS, better battery life, better low light, image stabilization.  From the sounds of the boards and reviews I read, the image quality on the GoPro has a slight edge, but that's under the right conditions.  The other features and the solidit of the Sony design won me in.  Besides, i can't stand the form factor of the GoPro, it just seems wrong to have a big square thing that looks like a 2001 digital camera on your head creating extra drag and/or the possibility for the camera to be kncked out of alignment.  I don't think the Sony is even available in Canada yet.  It's not on Sony Canada's website - only the HDR15 GPS-less model is, but I got one on eBay.
     I plan to take it out for a test spin for some night cross country mountain biking in the near future, and I will report back when i get a bit of a chance to check out the capabilities properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment