Friday 3 June 2016

Garmin eTrex30X First Impressions

I'm preparing to go to the Adirondack High Peaks on Sunday and although it's not a must have, I do like to have a GPS for a little added security and lower frustration in some situations especially since I will be solo. I pulled out my old Garmin 62s and found out the micro USB connector had crapped out and I couldn't connect at all to my computer.  If I had a bunch of time, I'd probably send it in to Garmin to get it fixed, but I don't have time.  I figured I'd pick up a new one instead.  After doing some research I think I'd like an eTrex 30X.  Besides Garmin there really isn't much competition other than Delorme.
I can't stand touch screens for backcountry.  I don't know who would.  Your hands are dusty, wet, covered in gloves, etc.  But some people must since Garmin keeps pumping out new models. The eTrex and the 64s aren't touch screen.  The eTrex is the only thing you can even remotely call light weight in Garmin's lineup.  Somewhere along the line it seems noone gave Garmin's product managers the memo that people like super light weight things in the backcountry.  My old 62s is a beast and the newer 64s hasn't changed at all since that.  Honestly I think the only thing different is the processor is faster and maybe more memory.  The eTrex blows the others away in terms of weight, as well as an impressive-on-paper 25 hours operating time on batteries, compared to 16 for most others Garmin offers. On top of that, the resolution of 240x320 is twice that of the 64s ridiculously low resolution of  160x240 (what is this, 1992?).
Opening the box and taking it out, the 30X IS small, with a smaller screen compared to my 62s.  That's OK.  I transfered my old SD card with some maps on it to the 30X, fired it up and put some maps on the 30X via MapSource (screw Basecamp, it still sucks), then threw some batteries in it and turned it on.  The rear cover has a quarter turn lock on it, similar to the 62S but not with the overdesigned investment cast aluminum dovetail the 62S has - this time it's plastic for the eTrex, and I'm OK with that.  I managed to set my preferences easily enough as the controls and still confusing-as-hell to find the option you want OS is very similar to the 62s.
Putting it on my kitchen scale, the 30X is 99 grams sans betteries.  The 62S is 167 grams.  That means the 30X is only 60% the weight of the 62s..  sweet!
Well, I guess I'll see how this works practically in the next week, but so far, I think it's an improvement over my old 62s in terms of size, weight, resolution and battery life.  I'm sure Garmin could take another 1/3 of the weight out of this thing if they put their minds to it, and make the screen larger at the same time...  those two items would be on my wishlist for improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment