Monday 13 June 2016

Thermarest MondoKing 3D Review - Car Camping Sleeping Bliss!

I'm on the fence on what to think about the whole glamping movement.  On one hand I hate people for wanting/needing every single amenity from their house including the kitchen sink while camping.  Also a little bit selfishly is the more comfortable camping is, the more people will be camping and Ontario's Parks are already overcrowded and difficult enough to get a reservation for nowadays.
On the other hand, there are a few things I do appreciate.  One of them is the elusive perfect sleeping mat/mattress for car camping. So really I shouldn't complain.
I do a lot of backcountry camping so I have all the ultralight stuff, but let's be honest - sleeping on a NeoAir mattress or most camping mats isn't exactly a dreamy sleep.  It's just a compromise from lying on the hard ground while trying to get some shuteye.
In the past couple years I have used a blow up Coleman type of queen sized bed.  They're very popular at the Canadian Tire/Walmart type of camping sections because they are cheap on sale. But, even if you get a good one, the seem to ALWAYS leak sooner or later, which drives me nuts when I wake up in the morning with my ass on the ground and have to blow it up every night.  All that, and they are cold...  even in a temperate camping climate, you loose so much heat out of the mattress that I always put a blanket down on top of the mattress.
In any case, due to these shortcomings, I picked up a brand new XXL size Thermarest MondoKing 3D mattress to get rid of these issues. It is quite expensive, costing me 215 dollars at Mountain Equipment Coop.  It is quite large, coming in a bag about the size of a medium car camping tent.  The XXL sized mattress itself when blown up is about the size of a twin bed - a glorious 30x80 inches, and a full 4 inches thick.  Very comfortably long and wide for my 6'2" tall 180 pound frame.  Inflation is similar to any old old school foam Thermarest- open the valves.  Yes valves - there are two.. both leading to the same space, just to make self inflation quicker.  After half hour or so then I close one off and blow maybe twenty times to get it firm, then close off the second valve.  The mattress is extremely comfortable and supple, similar to memory foam.  I have used it twice in a Lean-To so far, and I am so glad I had this at the end of my recent 43km Adirondack hike to rest my sore and weary bones.  As well, it is the warmest Thermarest ever, with an R rating of 11.4 compared to around 3 for your standard NeoAir mattress.  Comfy sleep... ZZZZZZ.  This will also come in handy for winter car camping..  it's too large to be dragging around the backcountry.
Deflating is somewhat simple and painless.  Open the two valves, fold over itself a couple times and sit on it to get rid of most of the air, then lay out and roll, squeezing any remaining air out with your knees, then close both valves when rolled.  It comes with a handy stuffsack/carry bag with a strap on it.  The only thing I wish is that it came with a mini pump instead of having to huff and puff your way to the correct firmness.
I am super happy with this so far, and it is so nice to have a great sleep uninterrupted by pressure points as many camping mats have, or coldness and leaks as air mattresses have.  I am looking forward to great sleeps with this in the many years to come.

Thermarest MondoKing 3D

No comments:

Post a Comment