Saturday 4 June 2016

Nikon 14-24mm Loose Lens Cap - Tighten 'er up!

I suppose you can call this a hack, although I hate that word.  The Nikon 14-24mm is a staple for landscape photography and offers excellent optics for the wide to super wide range of lenses for Nikon.  However, it has an unconventional lens cap.  Due to the bulbous optics and the built in flower petal lens hood, Nikon produced a lens cap that fits over the outside diameter of the lens like a cup.  The internals have little ribs spaced out that are supposed to keep the lens cap secure.  And for the most part, it does.  But, mine is several years old and the ribs have been sanded down by the number of times I have removed the lens cap and replaced it, so now it is a little loose for my liking.  Recently, my cap has fallen off numerous times when I use a Peak Designs Slide sling attached to the baseplate so the camera and lens hangs down.  Luckily, the lens cap is large enough for me to notice it falling off.
I was about to just purchase a brand new one,but I thought of a way to tighten it up, and it's pretty simple.  Just heat up a soldering iron and press sideways ever so slightly on the rib while melting it.  I did this to both sides of all ribs and the cap is much tighter now, and no need to buy a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment